Monday, January 14, 2013

Dan Loves Dirt

I just set up this blog here to document my loving relationship with DIRT and setting it on fire until it's about 2300 degrees.

And of course by dirt I mean STONEWARE CLAY!

I fell in love with dirt in high school just taking a basic ceramics class.  I ended up taking every class I could for it and skipping most my other classes just to hang out on the wheel all day!  Then I took a couple classes at a community college in KC just to keep playing.  After that I had a two year break from my love with dirt until last spring when I was able to acquire a kick wheel for $15 at a garage sale!

Now me and dirt can be together forever.

Maybe through this representation of my dirt love in the world wide web I can meet some other clay/dirt/ceramics nerds and share some ideas.

These are some of the newer pieces I actually have documented. DEFINITELY MORE TO COME!!



This here is me and my STASH of dirt at the What A Load of Craft fair in Iowa City this past December.  One of the first times I really brought any of my work out of the house!  Had a great response and the whole weekend was a boost in confidence.

This here is a picture of my studio I have in the entry way to the house I'm renting here in KCMO.


I used to have my wheel out on my front porch and work outside all the time.  But where I live in KC there are a lot of SCRAPPERS looking for metal to sell and my whole wheel is probably a gold mine for those freaks, so I decided to keep it safe inside.


And this is ME kicking up some dirt during the first summer after I acquired my wheel.  My girlfriend found it at a garage sale around the corner from my house.  I was able to get the wheel AND a kiln (which I don't think works and haven't been able to try to use) for just $40!!  basically everything I needed to get back to kicking up clay.


A lot of my work is represented on my Etsy page that can be found right here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/porchpots

No comments:

Post a Comment